Click here to sign up for monthly email updates on news and events

If you are not receiving emails please check the following:
(i) your spam folder
(ii) your spam settings have as a  trusted domain

Pucklechurch and the surrounding area has a long and rich history. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book and is situated in the heart of what was the royal hunting ground of Kingswood Forest. Evidence of human activity dates from the stone age, and there have been many finds from Roman times in the area.

  • Summary of Key events
  • St. Thomas à Becket church
  • History of The Revel
  • Links:

  • BBC Bristol’s Interactive Tour of Pucklechurch village history
  • Puckleweb - Pucklechurch village history - An excellent overview
  • A short history of No.11 Pucklechurch Balloon Centre
  • Pucklechurch War Memorial - Information on the memorial in Pucklechurch to those that died during the 1914-18 and 1939-45 wars
  • Information on the local coal mining Industry from South Gloucestershire Mines Research Group
  • Summary of key events in our village’s history.
    Prepared by Jackie Sexton.

    • Once the site of a Saxon royal manor, the name Pucklechurch is said to have come from early Briton (Celtic) and Saxon interest in the supernatural. “Puca” is an ancient term for goblin, and the area was reputedly the home of elves and goblins. In 950, during the reign of King Edred, it was known as “Pucelancyrcan”. In the Domesday Book (1086), the village and its manor are recorded as “Pulcrecerce”.
    • In the summer of AD577, a battle was fought at nearby Dyrham when Ceawlin, king of the West Saxons, defeated the Briton armies of Cirencester and Bath. Many of the dead from this battle, including a Briton chieftain, are said to be buried in Pucklechurch.
    • On the 26th May 946, Edmund, king of all England and grandson of Alfred the Great, was stabbed to death by a local thief called Leof while attending a banquet in Pucklechurch.
    • The village was on the edge of the royal hunting forest of Kingswood favoured by Saxon and later medieval kings. The Star Inn in is reputedly built on the site of the royal hunting lodge.
    • The splendid Parish Church of St Thomas à Becket was built in 1225 on an earlier Saxon site.
    • Pucklechurch prospered through agriculture during the Tudor and Elizabethan periods when many houses were built by rich merchants.
    • After his return to Bristol from the Battle of the Boyne in July 1690, William III visited his friends, the influential Denis family, who were lords of the manor of Pucklechurch.
    • In the early 18th century, a Reverend Berrow endowed the village with a school for the children of the poor.
    • Coal has been extracted from the area since early mediaeval times and in 1851 Handel Cossham established the Kingswood Coal Company, which included a mine in Pucklechurch. By 1900 the Bristol coalfields were producing nearly 400,000 tonnes.
    • During World War II the village was one of the first to put up barrage balloons to frustrate the Luftwaffe. What is now the trading estate was an airfield, which was renamed RAF Pucklechurch in June 1952.